Friday, April 1, 2011

Smells Like Teen Spirit

My niece just dropped out of high school-- less than three months from graduation. I suppose I should appreciate the fact that I do not have to dish out the promised $500 at graduation, but I am not happy.


I continue to watch the majority of my female relatives not finish school, get pregnant and live with men who have criminal records, or men who won’t work and who eventually leave them with small children to support.


These young women do not seem to understand their value in society. I do not understand why rites of passage into adulthood mean nothing to them-- why they will not graduate, get any kind of job training, register to vote. And it saddens me.


I am at a complete loss. I have no influence here.


No comments:

Post a Comment