Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweets for My Sweet

A good part of what makes the Two Trailer Marriage work is a deep appreciation for the talents each brings to the union.Most of my week was spent freezing Olathe corn and Palisade peaches. I then spent Saturday roasting and packing hot Hatch chile for the freezer. Our harvest pantry is done for the year.

And my husband is proud to tell his friends, “I married a damned good cook.”

He thinks I have become a "country wife," but I have always processed good produce for the freezer, even when I lived in the city.


I didn’t cook much for him when we were dating-- at least not until the relationship started looking serious. He was pleasantly surprised and appreciative when I placed a plate of Paella in front of him on his birthday.

The reason I didn’t cook for men that I dated was that I frequently got marriage proposals spoken in the heat of passion over my ravioli or my enchiladas. I wanted to be wanted for me-- not for my culinary talent.


But I know that the man I married loves and adores me, so I don’t care who he tells about my cooking. And I love it when he makes a special request for a dish. Last night he looked at me lovingly and said, “Would you make me some English muffins?”

The dough is rising as I type.


I tried a few different recipes and finally developed one of my own. He likes them better than those incredibly expensive muffins he used to order on-line.



Jo Ann’s English Muffins

Ingredients

  • 1 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 to 5 cups unbleached flour

Directions

Dissolve yeast and sugar in water in mixer bowl.

Add milk, egg, honey, salt, and 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix thoroughly with bread hook.

Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead with bread hook until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

Place dough ball in a large bowl bowl sprayed with Pam; spray top of ball with Pam.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.

On a floured surface, roll to 1/3-in. thickness. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into circles with muffin cutter (or empty cleaned tuna can).

Place on greased baking sheet with 1 to 2 inches between each.

Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes. Bottom should be brown. Turn and bake another 7-8 minutes longer.. Cool on a wire rack.

Muffins can be frozen in plastic bags once cooled.

When ready to serve, thaw and split with a fork. Best served toasted.


I love to cook. But I truly love to cook for people who enjoy the food-- that would be my husband.


No comments:

Post a Comment