Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hot Stuff

I do like to play with my food. I like the recipes I grew uo with, but sometimes you just have to switch things around.


I have created types of tamales that are not your normal pork or beef. I add different things to the lasagna all the time. My Texas Chili has lima beans in it. I just cannot help myself. These things just fall out of my kitchen.


This week I took an old standard and decided that it needed a little change. The hubby loved it! And it was so easy.


Shrimp & Sausage Stuffed Peppers


1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice

1 cup water

1/2 pound shrimp, cooked, peeled and rough chopped

1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, cooked and sliced into thin rings

1 large tomato, diced

1 medium onion, diced

1-2 cloves garlic, crushed

paprika to taste

salt and pepper to taste

4 bell peppers


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. (I use a rice steamer and follow those directions. At high altitude it takes about a 1/4 cup more water.)

Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides up.

In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper.

Optional: Pour marinara sauce over the stuffed peppers.

Bake 1 hour in a covered baking dish, until the peppers are tender. Check occasionally to be sure peppers do not dry out.


No comments:

Post a Comment